Career advice via Mentorship programme
Only ESCO Fellows and Graduates can request a Mentorship.
The ESCO Mentorship programme will pair ESCO Fellows and Graduates with an ESCO Mentor. Mentors will support their oncologist with help and guidance on careers (applying/preparing for a new position, help with making a career decision,etc). At their discretion, mentors may also help mentees with the following:
- How to be successfully involved in translational or clinical research
- How to write a research grant
- How to reach a clinical or research fellowship
- How to analyze research data
- How to write and publish an article
- How to evaluate and select cancer journals
- How to prepare and present an oral presentation
- How to evaluate and assess authors' impact metrics (citations, h-index, etc)
- How to successfully claim a Master or a PhD programme
- How to select and apply to high caliber training centres
- How to succeed to the National or ESMO examination/boards
- How to cope with burnout problems
- How to build up good relationships with the Head of the Department and with other colleagues
ESCO Mentors are a dedicated group of ESCO Faculty who have agreed to mentor selected ESCO members.
Mentors and Mentees will be paired together for a year. The partnership will work on a virtual capacity, with at least two mandatory telephone conversations and contact via email. A face to face meeting can be arranged if it is of interest to both parties. Natural opportunities for a meeting may arise, for example, if both attend the same congress at the same time.
The deadline to apply for a Mentorship in 2021 is the 4th October 2020.
To request a Mentorship please click on the apply now button below and upload the following:
- Motivation letter giving details on what the applicant wishes to achieve during their Mentorship period and their 1st and 2nd choice Mentor.
We will try our best to match each member with the mentor of their choice but it cannot be guaranteed.
College enrolment must be carried out before the application deadline to be considered for this benefit