Career advice via Mentorship programme
ALL ESCO Members can request a Mentorship.
The ESCO Mentorship programme will pair ESCO members with an ESCO Mentor. Mentors provide career guidance ranging from how to apply/prepare for a new position or how best to cope with burnout. At their discretion, mentors may also help mentees with the following:
- How to be successfully involved in translational or clinical research
- How to write a research grant
- How to reach a clinical or research fellowship
- How to analyse research data
- How to write and publish an article
- How to evaluate and select cancer journals
- How to prepare and present an oral presentation
- How to evaluate and assess authors' impact metrics (citations, h-index, etc)
- How to successfully claim a Master or a PhD programme
- How to select and apply to high calibre training centres
- How to succeed to the National or ESMO examination/boards
- How to cope with burnout problems
- How to build up good relationships with the Head of the Department and with other colleagues
ESCO Mentors are a dedicated group of ESCO Faculty who have agreed to mentor selected ESCO members.
Mentors and Mentees are paired together for a year. The partnership works on a virtual capacity, with at least two mandatory telephone conversations and contact via email. A face to face meeting can be arranged if it is of interest to both parties. Natural opportunities for a meeting may arise, for example, if both attend the same congress at the same time.
We will try our best to match each member with the mentor of their choice but it cannot be guaranteed.
Details of mentors and mentees working together in 2022 can be found here
Please read our Mentorship Guide for further information
To apply for a Mentorships click on the Apply button below, complete the online application form and then upload the following documents:
- Motivation letter explaining why you would like to have a mentorship in 2023 and what you hope to gain from it
You will be asked to select the name of at least 2 mentors you would like to be paired with next year (a 3rd choice is optional). Please view our list of 2023 Mentors and consider their main areas of interest when choosing who you would like a mentorship with. The list will be updated as new mentors give their availability.
The deadline to apply for a Mentorships in 2023 is 31st October 2022.